As with any other field, trends in the workplace come and go. But company culture is becoming more and more important as time goes on. It’s now considered important to make sure that your employees are happy at your company. In addition to lists of successful companies, magazines also release lists of companies that people like to work for. Company culture might seem like a passing workplace trend but it’s much more likely that it’s here to stay. Here are a few tips to improve your company culture:
It’s important to make sure that your employees are physically comfortable at work. This can be done in many ways.
- You can make sure that your offices are well-decorated. When people come to work in a place that looks nice, they’re more likely to be productive than they would be in a place with a rundown carpet and dirty windows.
- It’s also a good idea to give employees a breakroom with a small kitchenette, table and chairs. People should have a clean refrigerator to put their food in (you’d be surprised how many places have refrigerators that haven’t been cleaned in years!) They should also have a microwave and healthy snacks to keep them going when they’re feeling low.
- Personal Touches. It’s also a good idea to encourage people to organize and decorate their own workspaces the way they like. They should put up pictures of people they’re close to, add some decorative pieces and grow some plants to help them feel more at home.
This is also an important component of company culture. People should feel free to talk to each other and to the higher ups about anything that might be bothering them.
- Meetings/Brainstorming Sessions. It’s a good idea to hold weekly meetings where everyone is present and gets to have a say. Try to conduct these meetings in such a way that you’re not just talking at your employees. You should be talking with If this doesn’t seem to work, try brainstorming sessions where everyone is allowed to speak and no criticism is allowed.
- Social Events. Encourage employees to talk to each other even when they don’t have to. Some companies send employees who don’t know each other off to lunch so that they can learn more about each other. You can also organize small social events like birthday parties or wedding showers for employees.
Contact us for more great tips on improving company culture.